Thursday, July 27, 2006

Mum's the word

I screamed in pain as the brand seared flesh and blood into a boiling, sizzling mark.

Now you'll ne'er forget mister, the one eye said. Pain for pain.

I gaped and ached and clawed and snarled...but inside I knew he was right.

And I knew my heart was already healing.

Pain for Pain.

*********

Tattoos aren't really THAT painful. I finally got mine yesterday. I did what I have been dreaming of and putting off for too long. And I remembered my mother with a love heart and Mum.

Halfway through, I noticed him colouring half the heart black. I didn't say a word, I hardly did the whole time, just slightly lifted my head to look at him.

He kept concentrating and said, I figure with a tattoo like this, you'd probably have half a black heart.

I just laughed and let him continue to burn me a million times over.

And now it's there I can remember. And I think that means I can also forget.

6 comments:

  1. wow. gotta love that tattoo guy. sensitive. i mean it. intuitive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a mighty fine tattoo it is. So when you getting the sleeve done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of anybody with better cause to get a mom tattoo.

    I haven't been reading any blogs* for several months so it was nice to find something poinant.

    Was the pain you felt getting the tattoo cathartic?

    I never considered the theraputic value of tattoos. Can you post a picture of the tattoo now that's it's not looking all gross and puffy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. * still need a better name than blogs. I still vote we call them "fucks" as short for fucking around with some writings.

    ReplyDelete