Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I think we're alone now.

I'm standing in the rain waiting for a bus. It's 8 o'clock in the morning. There is no shelter, it's in the part of Brunswick where they decided many years ago that trees just took up good concretin' space. No one else is silly enough to stand at my particular bus stop. I have my hands in my pocket and I'm doing that little jig thing, one leg then the other, more out of boredom than the fact that I am wet and cold. I don't have a book, for the first time in ages. So, jig it is.

I see a lady walking up the street toward me. She has no umbrella, a large black trench coat hides her hands and her hair is blowing forward, obscuring her face. She walks up to the bus stop. We do the silent, well, you're here and I'm here thing.

Then she says,

Catching the bus are you?

Yes, I reply.

She looks at me strangely and says,

I wasn't talking to you.

And walks off.

For the second time in a year, I do the Eddie Murphy look at the camera of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment