Thursday, September 27, 2007

4.

I tried to protect
the flower from
the elements.
When a storm came,
I carried the pot
inside, so we could
watch through the
window.
When the sun was
unbearable, I moved
the pot into the shade.
When it was frosty,
I brought it inside and
left it on the mantle.
I began to fret,
and each day I was
certain that the little
flower in the little pot,
would finally succumb
to danger.
Aphids.
Hail.
Dehydration.

My stomach ached.

One day I came home
on the tram, and the
flower was waiting for me
on the step of my house.

If you keep protecting me,
I will never grow strong enough
to leave my pot, and we will
both wither and die.

I didn't know what to say,
so I stepped aside and let
my tears
flow
to
the
dry,
appreciative
earth.

5 comments:

  1. Life is long and hard and beautiful, and pretty damn cool too. Best to be amongst it. Out in the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince

    ReplyDelete