Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Bull in my China Shop Moon.

As I walk up the hill
toward Home
I notice
through the birthing trees
the biggest moon I ever saw
gold and bright
in the sky ahead.

I move quickly
toward it
waiting for the limbs
which canopy the path
to graciously clear
a line of sight
so I might
have a chance
to call to The Moon
to look upon it
and whisper
". .... ..."

but

as the trees clear
I stand on the crest
of the road and watch
with terrible sadness
as a great black cloud
horns its way across
the silver face
covering it with the soft
and shallow
embrace
of a cold and distant
storm.


I hang

my

head


and walk toward Home.

Filled with romantic Hope
I turn to the right
as I stride
and I see The Moon
glowing bright
behind the blackness
straining to achieve
a greater height
so that it
might
light
my face
again
with glorious
freedom
and requited
adoration.

The black cloud begins to dissipate
slowly
but
I arrive at my front door step
with a bottle of wine in my hand
and

I

take one last look

(it's close, it's almost there)

and say

Moon,

you control the tides
the oceans and seas
the souls of lovers
and the hearts of men
so surely
you could clear this cloud
surely
we could gaze upon each other
on this night
of all nights

and I count to ten
watching as the moon struggles
slowly
through the darkness
until finally

cold and shivering

I turn away

open the door to my house
sit alone on my couch

(where The Moon
had been
but two days before)

drinking wine
and
saying

.....

1 comment: