Saturday, December 6, 2008

Wish.

I thought
when I was
young

I thought,

I'm going to be a star.

There I was
on the banks
of the Yarra River
a family barbeque
a few families anyway
tandem bikes
and plastic cups
filled with cola
and after lunch
I started shouting
at the other kids
to organise themselves
into a cast
so that I could direct
the afternoon's entertainment
some sort of panto,
impro
who knows.

I was a famous director
ten years old
flustered at the blonde
haired son of someone 
or other
who was more interested in 
the cricket bat
and wasn't paying attention
to the script.

God Damn!
I cried
forget about the bloody
bat
I need you to show
some emotion!

And

Why are you all so STUPID?

And my sigh 
was world weary
and 
held the frustrations
of a veteran Hollywood
Director
and god,
the empathy
and god
the path which 
lay before me...

That night
I lay in bed and 
let the dictionary
teach me a new word
which the blonde's
father had muttered at me
under his breath;

obnoxious.

I came to know the word well.

Time walked
slowly by.

I was going to be a star

on stage
with a hand 
bleeding from a wound
of love
suffered the night before the show
plasmatic branches
clawing down my arms
and over the guitar
and sweat and roll
and jump
yell here
forget about tone
who needs fucking tone
when 
you 
have GUT
the music had gut

but we didn't

we had the same 
as you
or him
or her
just a life

just an ordinary life
with bills
and broken hearts
and moving house
and I never spoke to him/her/them
again
I wonder how they are.

I was going to be a star.

I didn't think that
but I did
it's hard to explain
it wasn't so much a star
so much
as I just felt
so FULL
of (shit, you say, haha
haha)
so full of something
that fucking needed to be released 
and it wasn't work
and it wasn't fucking
and it wasn't running
it was something that needed
to be made
and it ate me up
ate me all up
and licked the bowl until
everything passed me by
and everyone else rode the wave
and left me straddled and cold
as the sun sank
and the sharks came out to feed
their hunger
my blind ambition
the words right there
hope which hindered my sight
a star
a star
I was 
a fucking star
guess what Jack
you'll never fucking
believe it
it's me
Mathew
and ha
fucking ha
I became a fucking star

except

it's not what I thought

you know

I didn't mean it like that

it's cold Jack
bloody cold

and I'm

billions
of light years
from anywhere

alone 
and blinking

in the dark
vicious

night.

Shit

I'm
a
star.

One little voice
burned into
humility

a wee
struggle
invisible
amongst
a billion
billion billion
other stars.

A tiny
tear
fallen
into a river.

A single
grain
of
dream
upon a 
desert
built of wishes.

A nobody

just like you.

I am a star.

2 comments:

  1. David Bowie sang "there's gonna have to be a different man" in Changes. I used to think it would be me. I still do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that blond kid with the cricket bat had it right. He was the star of that day on the Yarra without even trying. Bastard!
    There's always peroxide I guess.

    ReplyDelete